Commercial and Conveyancing Paralegal –   Phoenix Law & Associates is a boutique law firm located in the heart of the Brisbane CBD.

We are seeking a Commercial and Conveyancing Paralegal to join our growing team. It is expected that the predominant areas of involvement will be residential and commercial conveyancing, business purchase and sales as well as leasing.


Routine tasks include;


Review of contracts and close liaison with solicitors to protect client interests, drafting client and third party correspondence, drafting first drafts of advices on standard contracts and leases and maintenance of client files.

Due to the nature of our clientele, the right applicant will be required to be competent at a business/commercial level to read, write and speak both English and Chinese (Mandarin).


The ideal candidate will:


Be organised and have high attention to detail
Mature minded
Has great time management
Be able to take and follow instructions
Be able to work as part of a team and by yourself
Be able to use Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Outlook
Have good communication skills both written and spoken
Have relevant experience such as administration role, legal secretary or paralegal
Has a strong work ethic and keen interest to learn


What you can expect from us:


Opportunity for your role to grow with the business
You’ll be welcomed into a close-knit team of friendly, genuine people
Desirable team culture and morale
Enjoyable work-life balance
Lots of extra benefits such as team lunches, massages, monthly morning teas, rewards for reaching targets
This is a full-time role, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday.

We are seeking a candidate who can commence immediately/as soon as possible.

Please note that applications from agencies will not be considered at this time.


Apply by email to:

With Phoenix Law, you’ll get big firm talent and small firm culture. We’ll treat you like a person, not just a case number.



Have you been injured in a car accident? You may be eligible to make a claim. What is a CTP claim?

A CTP (Compulsory Third Party) claim is an insurance claim for a lump sum to compensate you for injuries sustained in a car accident and the effects of those injuries, including but not limited to:
– Medical and rehabilitation costs to treat your injuries; and
– Lost income resulting from the injuries.

Can I make a CTP claim?

In Queensland, you can make a CTP claim if you:
1. Were injured in a car accident; and
2. The car accident was not your fault, or only partially your fault.
If you are a passenger in the at-fault car, you can still make a claim.
Who do I make a claim against?

CTP claims are made against the CTP insurer of the at-fault car. CTP insurance is compulsory with car registration. Every registered car has a CTP insurer.

In Queensland, we have a voluntary CTP insurance scheme in that you can nominate which insurer you would like your CTP policy with. As such, there are a number of different CTP insurers in Queensland that we deal with, such as Suncorp, RACQ, Allianz and QBE.

Why should I make a CTP claim?

Why should you be out of pocket for expenses and losses associated with an injury that was not your fault?

1. Making a CTP claim allows you to access funding for medical and treatment expenses from the CTP insurer. If your claim is accepted and your medical treatment approved by the insurer, they will usually fund most of your medical and treatment costs as verified by your doctor. These expenses include items such as:
– GP consults
– Physiotherapy
– Investigations such as X-Rays, CT scans, Ultrasounds, MRIs
– Psychological treatment
– Medications
– Travel associated with treatment. This can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in out-of-pocket expenses.

2. If your injuries are long-term, that is, they persist after 9-12 months, then a CTP claim can also serve to compensate you for possible future expenses and losses arising from those injuries.

Sometimes, an injury can be serious enough to affect your earning potential, which will result in future losses of income. This can happen due to reasons such as:
– You can no longer do your usual job and require retraining and reskilling
– Your injury prevents you from heavy lifting and manual handling
– You can only work part-time instead of full time
– You will need time off work to rest
– Your general productivity, efficiency and capacity has decreased

What can I claim for?

1. Pain and suffering from the injuries themselves (this will be a fixed amount depending on the severity of your injuries and the medical evidence)
2. Past and future medical and rehabilitation costs
3. Past economic loss
4. Future economic loss
5. Past and future care costs (if applicable).

Past economic loss is the income you have lost as a result of your injuries – eg. due to time off work.

Future economic loss typically makes up the largest portion of your lump-sum payment. It is an amount paid to compensate you for the risk of future lost income due to your injuries. How much will depend on the impact of your injuries on your ability to work.

The amount of compensation available to an individual in each of these areas is dependant on the evidence. The injured party needs to show through documentation and medical records their losses and how they have been affected. If you are ever involved in a car accident, it is a good idea to keep
copies of all documents and make notes from the time of the accident onwards.

Why should I use lawyers for my CTP claim?

The CTP process is complex and may take 12 – 18 months or more. As your representatives, we will guide and support you through this process so that it is as easy as possible and you can focus on your treatment and recovery.

Most importantly, we will gather evidence to prove your case and provide you with advice so that you can make informed decisions throughout the process and regarding any offers of settlement made to you.

How much the CTP insurer will pay you is determined by:
– Evidence of your injuries and impact on your work;
– Evidence of expenses and any other losses;
– Your personal circumstances and history;
– Previous Court decisions in matters with similarities;

The negotiation stage is where we really shine. We will prepare your evidence, your case, and advocate and negotiate on your behalf to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Have any questions? Call our friendly team for a free of charge and a no-obligation initial consultation.
Phone 1800-GET-HELP (1800 438 435)

You’re not alone. Waves of pandemic sea-changers and ex-pats returning to Australia have a Queensland expert on-side and ready to help. 

Pandemic sea-changers or Ex-pats returning to QUEENSLAND? The pandemic has definitely accelerated sea-change and repatriation trends, but Phoenix law & Associates are well versed in helping newcomers with conveyancing law, commercial law, contracts, property and leasing,  as well as Immigration Law assistance.

Phoenix Law is your one-stop shop – we can ease the stress of your move, and provide friendly assistance at every turn.

As evidence of moves away from major cities continues to translate to the property market. A mass exodus from capital cities have pushed prices upwards, and there are fewer properties available for sale. Particularly on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, it may be more affordable to buy than rent.

When you’re bidding for in-demand sunshine-state properties, you’ll need an expert on your side now, rather than later.  Have all your ducks in a row, well ahead of deadlines, with the Queensland Conveyancing specialists. Call or email us today 1800GETHELP  |

Sydney and Melbourne sea-changers are major players in the SEQ property market. With expats the next wave to come…

Rent is now more expensive on the Gold Coast than in Sydney, as a mass exodus from capital cities drives prices through the roof. Rent prices for houses outside of major cities skyrocketed in the first quarter of 2021, with higher average rents recorded in coastal cities like the Gold and Sunshine Coast than in Sydney and Canberra.

Data from the ABS shows the exodus from capital cities has sustained well into 2021, as rent increases become more widespread across regional and coastal hubs. “The rents now on the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast are comparable to the expensive parts of the ACT and Sydney,” Domain senior research analyst Nicola Powell said of the report’s findings.

Domain senior research analyst Nicola Powell said the unprecedented rent swell is the result of the ongoing trend towards sea and tree changes by capital city-dwellers, sparked by the shift towards remote working post-pandemic.

The figures align with data that shows the pandemic has accelerated sea-change trends, as evidence of moves away from major cities continues to translate to the property market. ABS data from February showed Australia’s capital cities had a net loss of 11,200 people in the last quarter of 2020, coinciding with the end of Australia’s first lockdown and the largest quarterly loss on record.

Interstate migration & expats return

Melbourne and Sydney sea-changers were major players in the market, seeking a similar lifestyle outside of the city. “In a normal market, once we get over summer and into winter, it dies off massively … but we’ve been waiting for things to slow down, and they haven’t,” Kernot said. She said she thinks this will only accelerate if and when Australia’s borders reopen.

“And the next thing is when overseas borders open, and those expats come back – that will be the next wave.”

When you’re bidding for in-demand sunshine-state properties, you’ll need an expert on your side now, rather than later.  Phoenix Law knows Brisbane and SEQ.  Have all your ducks in a row, well ahead of deadlines. Call +61 (07) 3180 0908 or email us today, or see here for a free quote.

Lunar New Year is on Friday 12 February this year and it’s the lucky Year of the Ox.

It’s called the Lunar New Year because it marks the first new moon of the lunisolar calendars which are regulated by the cycles of the moon and sun. The Lunar New Year (often called Chinese New Year) is celebrated by many East Asian countries.

The zodiac sign of the Ox occupies the second position in the Chinese Zodiac. Those born under the influence of the Ox are fortunate to be stable and persevering.

The typical Ox is a tolerant person with a strong character.

Oxen are the hard workers in the background, intelligent and reliable, but never demanding praise. Years of the Ox are: 1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, 1997, 2009, 2021. Were you born in the “Year of the Ox”?

Members of our team born in the year of the Ox are your best advocates, intelligent, reliable, guiding you in your legal and life decisions.   At Phoenix Law & Associates, we have a multilingual team to help you rise from the ashes.

Chinese Zodiac Calendar
While you may have heard of the 12-year Chinese zodiac calendar, represented by 12 different animals, it’s actually far more complicated. A year isn’t just categorized by its zodiac animal. There’s also a complex sexagenary cycle — a combination of one of 10 heavenly stems and one of 12 earthly branches.
For example, February 12 marks the beginning of the xin chou year, according to the sexagenary cycle. “Xin” represents the heavenly stem for the element metal, while “chou” is the earthly branch symbol for ox, making it the Year of the Metal Ox.
Thierry Chow, a Hong Kong-based feng shui master
“The year of xin chou will have a strong emphasis on the yin metal element,” she says. “The metal element represents anything sparkly from jewelry to the needle of a syringe. So we can see a bigger emphasis on industries related to metal in 2021.
“The ox, in Chinese culture, is a hardworking zodiac sign. It usually signifies movements so, hopefully, the world will be less static than last year and get moving again in the second half of the year.”
Many people take the 60-year calendar very seriously and believe each person’s own birth sign will be affected differently by the year’s heavenly stems and earthly branches. So the calendar plays an important role in making huge life decisions for the year ahead, such as whether they should get married or start a business.

Lunar New Year 2021 The Year of the Ox

February 12 marks the start of the Year of the Metal Ox.
Normally, Lunar New Year fairs will be set up during the last days of the lunar year, most selling trinkets and flowers for the new year. But because of the pandemic, many cities have downsized or cancelled their festivities.
The year usually wraps up with a big family reunion dinner on Lunar New Year’s Eve, which falls on February 11 this year.
The Menu
The menu is carefully chosen to include dishes associated with luck, including fish (the Chinese word for it sounds like the word for “surplus”), puddings (symbolizes advancement) and foods that look like gold ingots (like dumplings).
Do wear red, don’t wash your hair. or buy shoes.
Families tend to have different sets of rules and traditions, but most will bless each other with auspicious words like “san tai gin hong” or “shen ti jian kang” (wish you good health).
There are plenty of other rules and superstitions attached to the Lunar New Year. For instance, don’t wash or cut your hair on the first day of the new year. The Chinese character for hair is the first character in the word for prosper. Therefore washing or cutting it off is seen as washing your fortune away.
You’ll also want to avoid purchasing footwear for the entire lunar month, as the term for shoes (haai) sounds like losing and sighing in Cantonese. Do, however, wear red. It’s associated with luck and prosperity.
All year round,  Phoenix Law & Associates work hard to help you with your prosperity, business decisions and legal needs. 


Aussie Road Etiquette Guide

Your blinker is your best mate. Always let others know you’re changing lanes, snapping a park or turning into a driveway.

A smile and wave goes a long way. It’s nice to be nice, so give thanks to fellow drivers.

Don’t be a tailgater, hater. People like their personal space. So do cars.

Want to be seen? Dim your high beam. No one likes a blinding light heading their way.

You go, I go. When merging, let other cars in and they’ll return the favour.  It’s all in the karma.

Park as if you’re passing your Ps. Be careful, precise and give other cars their space.

It’s wrong to be right. Unless you’re overtaking, stay in the left lane.

Turn the other cheek, resist the beep. Take a breath before hitting that horn. It can stress out other drivers and we don’t want that.

No one likes a backseat driver. Not driving? No worries, sit back and relax.

Everyone’s on their own journey. Literally. Remember we’re all trying to get to where we’re going in the safest possible way. ( With thanks , ING Insurance)

Our Personal Injury Lawyers Are Here for You  When you have suffered losses due to the actions of someone else, it’s important to know what you’re entitled to in terms of compensation. If you’re not sure what to do in this frustrating time, the Brisbane personal injury lawyers at Phoenix Law are here to help.

Whether you were injured in a car accident, at work, or on private or public property, our knowledgeable and compassionate lawyers can help you understand and uphold your rights.

Get In touch anytime – 1800GETHELP
or +61 (07) 3180 0908 . #phoenixlaw #accidentinjury #roadetiquette #roadsafety

Our Pick of the Week comes from the beautiful Redcliffe Jetty. When you find a great fresh food and artisan market you want to visit again and again, especially on the water at Redcliffe on a Sunday morning. These markets are filled with farm-fresh produce, meats, trawler-direct seafood, aroma appetising baked goods, gourmet food and provisions, artisan goods, homewares and much more. The market organisers are extremely passionate about supporting and showcasing the best growers, makers, builders and bakers in the Moreton Bay and surrounds. Read More at (website link … )

Redcliffe Peninsula – have fun, save money !!

Redcliffe Farmers and Artisan Markets occurs every Sunday from 8.00am through to 2.00pm on the Redcliffe Jetty. Every time we find something totally different from the time before, and the regulars will be back with a restock. Although the markets are free, due to COVID-19, you must register through Eventbrite to attend. This way you and others will be safe. It is advisable to wear a mask, take hand sanitiser, a hat for sunny days, sunglasses, sunscreen and water.

While you are there, stay for lunch or morning tea at one of the local cafes or bring your bathers and towel for beach fun. A visit to the Redcliffe Markets is a perfect day out to enjoy these two special places in close proximity of each other. Do not worry about parking as there is plenty of spaces in front of the market and in the surrounding streets. Why not suggest a family or friends meet up for a fun day out. If you wish to know more about these markets, please telephone 0466 649 132 or email Otherwise, meet up at Redcliffe Parade and enjoy your day.

For your HOME CONVEYANCING NEEDS in the REDCLIFFE PENSINULA, or anywhere in SEQ – see or call us Phone: 07 3236 2852 or Email:

At Phoenix Law, We Speak Your Language, and we understand your customs.  

“In Japan, the New Year is the biggest celebration of the year. We have a proverb in Japan, “the total for the year is on New Year’s Day”. In other words, we symbolise the first of January of each year as being your new year coming. So most Japanese people will visit their local temples and shrines to pay respects to their ancestors and gods and pray for the prosperous year.

Traditionally the New Year dish In Japan is called “Osechi”. Osechi are traditional foods which are the variety of Japanese traditional foods packed together in “Jubako” which is special box that resembles bento boxes. It is prepared before the New Year so that the kitchen would not be used to give “the Kitchen God” rest during the new year festive period.

All of the ingredients in Osechi are meant for good health, fortune and prosperity for a year. For example, “Black beans” are eaten to encourage work and academic achievement. Prawns have long hair with bended backs, so that it symbolises old people and you eat them to pray for longevity.

Salted Herring Roe is eaten to pray for the prosperity of descendants. Mashed sweet potato with chestnuts is believed to raise money luck and fortune, and  Sweet Omelet is eaten to improve your knowledge. ” Hideki Shimizu,  Legal Practice Director, Lawyer , Registered Migration Agent (MARN 9900985)

Japanese Lawyers plus thirteen other languages 

In today’s transnational world, finding advisors and Japanese lawyers that can communicate with you about your legal needs in the language you’re most comfortable speaking is a must. At Phoenix Law, we are proud to be a multilingual law firm that celebrates diversity. We strive to assist you with your domestic and international affairs in the language you prefer speaking. At Phoenix Law, we speak thirteen languages in addition to English.  CALL US anytime at 1800GETHELP –  or read more at


The Baseball nuts at Phoenix Law & Associates support and sponsor The BRISBANE BANDITS for the 2020-21 ABL Season. The Brisbane Bandits are proud to announce Phoenix Law and Associates is a Platinum Partner with the Brisbane Bandits for the next 3 years.

The Brisbane Bandits are also delighted to announce the signing of NPB veteran pitcher Masaru Nakamura for the 2020/21 season. The tall right handed Nakamura has spent 10 years pitching with the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters in the north of Japan, achieving a career ERA of 3.89 in the Nippon Professional Baseball League.

Born and raised in Saitama near Tokyo, Masaru travelled to Brisbane in March to study English and prepare himself for the upcoming season.
It is time for the Dragon to enter the arena in the fight to return the Claxton Shield to the North. Nakamura says “I’m excited to be playing for Brisbane, looking at the ABL from Japan there is no other place or team in Australia I could have hoped to play for. I am ready to fight to be bring more honour to the North.”

Follow them at #TeamPhoenix #lovebaseball


Start your 2020 business year with zest and creativity!  You are invited to a Free aFile workshop with Phoenix Law at  8am -10am this Friday 7th February at Level 4, 300 Adelaide Street,  Brisbane CBD .

Join us for –   8am Food & Coffee Orders;  8.15am Kevin Zhang – Doing business with China – and  8.45 am John Hale – Business Creativity and Brain Health -a must-attend FREE event for anyone exploring business opportunities with the Chinese market. RSVP ASAP by calling +61 (07) 3180 0908 or emailing

Tiffany from The Henderson Gallery will be there to take your coffee and food orders at around 8:00 am. Here is the link to their menu ;

Below is the agenda for our first aFile meeting for 2020:

8.00 am – Meeting commences with the introduction of each member

8.15 am – Kevin Zhang – Lawyer, Phoenix Law & Associates

“Myths of the Dragon – the truth behind engaging with Chinese?”

“China is in its own category – too big to ignore, too repressive to embrace, difficult to influence, and very, very proud.”(Madeleine Albright – the first female Secretary of the State in the US)

Chinese influence is everywhere in modern society often without us being aware of it. It can present with mystifying elements which bring some misconceptions to the people who deal with it.  In this presentation, Mr Kevin Zhang, who has been acting for a number of prominent Chinese clients locally and internationally,  will give us the insight of doing business with China and myth-busting talks about dealing with Chinese.

This is a must-attend event for anyone who is considering to explore business opportunities with the Chinese market.

8.45 am – John Hale – Business Creativity and Brain Health with Strategic Futurist John Hale

John Hale is a Strategic Futurist, founder of Hale Consulting Group and author of The Strategy Book.

John has worked as an early-stage investor and advisor for over twenty years. He has worked with leaders from Fortune 500 and mid-sized companies to start-ups and public sector organisations.

John has been a Visiting and Adjunct Professor teaching strategy, entrepreneurship, project management and ethics at Singapore Management University, Bond University and Melbourne Business School.

The brightest executives are also health practitioners. As leaders, they concern themselves with the health of their business and their own mental and physical health.

In the current resource-constrained business environment, with an ageing population, the need for good strategy and clever innovation has never been more pressing. Also, thanks to the exploding human footprint and the third era of computing (ubiquitous AI), there are mounting levels of learned helplessness, psychological stress, EMF exposure, pollution and obesity.

Busy executives need ways to ward off dementia risks and keep their brains healthy.  John will share:

– Why traditional group brainstorming is not that creative.
– Ways to be creative and capture future value.
– Risk factors that contribute to Dementia. 
– Four ways to improve brain function and enjoy peak health.

9.45 am – 10.00am aFile marketing update with Faisal and Q&A

Small Firm Culture, Big Firm Talent

When you’re hiring a solicitor, you want to feel confident and comfortable.
At Phoenix Law & Associates, you can expect us to treat your case as if it were our own. We know that happy clients make for happy solicitors.
If you need legal help, call 1800 GET HELP for an obligation-free chat about your individual needs.

#phoenixlaw #businesschina #chinesebusiness #creativebusiness #brainhealth #businessleaders #afile

Are you trying to bring your parent to Australia?


Last week, the Australian government officially announced a new parent visa subclass: The 870 Sponsored Parent Visa.

The 870 visa gives the opportunity for parents of all ages to spend up to five years in Australia with their children. And, to make this visa more appealing, the government has dropped some of the major restrictions other parent visa categories carry.

So, what is the 870 Sponsored Parent visa and who is eligible to apply for it?


What makes this visa different?

Unlike other parent visas, the 870 visa doesn’t require the parent to meet the “Balance of Family” rule. Instead, the sponsored parent just needs to have a child (biological, adopted or step-child) who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen who has been living in Australia for four years.

This is good news for children who have been living in Australia for many years but still have the majority of their brothers and sisters living overseas.

Another important difference between the 870 visa and other parent visas is this visa doesn’t put minimum or maximum age restrictions on the parents – a rule that has previously prevented many migrant’s parents from coming to Australia.

And, while this visa does not lead to permanent residency, eligible parents can stay for the full 5 years, leave the country, then apply for another 5-year visa, meaning they can enjoy a maximum period of 10 years with their children and grandchildren in Australia.


What is the application process?

The first step towards obtaining an 870 Sponsored Parent visa is getting the child approved as a sponsor. This will require the child to:

  • Undergo police checks and;
  • Prove they are earning a taxable income of $83,454.80 or more (this can be joint family income).

Then, once the child has been approved as a sponsor, the second step is to lodge the parent’s application within six months of their sponsor’s approval.

When lodging an 870 Sponsored Parent visa application, the parents must be able to prove they:

  • Have sufficient income to provide for themselves while living in Australia, as the 870 visa doesn’t grant the parents any right to work in Australia
  • Meet the government’s health requirements and get private health insurance
  • Meet the government’s character requirements.
  • Have no debt owing to the Australian government (exemptions can be made if repayment arrangements are in place).


When can I apply?

While sponsor applications are open now, visa applications can only be lodged after 1st of July.

If you are considering applying for an 870 Sponsored Parent visa, it’s important you take steps to submit your application as early as possible because only 15,000 of these visas will be granted this year.


How much does an 870 Parental Visa application cost?

There are two main application fees for this visa:

  • Sponsorship application fee: $470
  • Visa application fee: $5000 for a three-year visa or $10,000 for a five-year visa (this fee is paid in two parts, one upon application and the second prior to being granted).

With such substantial sums of money on the line, many applicants prefer not to risk preparing their own application and use a migration agent instead.


How long does it take to be approved for an 870 Sponsored Parent Visa?

As this is a new subclass of visa, there is currently no information available about processing times. It is expected that applicants will receive more information about wait times at least three months after the applications open.


How do I get started?

To find out more about this visa type, or to explore other visas that might be better suited to your needs, get in touch with a migration agent at Phoenix Law & Associates.

We’ve helped thousands of people live, work, study and holiday in Australia, and we specialise in helping people who don’t speak English as their first language apply for visas.

Our team includes:

  • Mandarin speaking lawyers
  • Cantonese speaking lawyers
  • Japanese speaking lawyers
  • Farsi speaking lawyers
  • Dari speaking lawyers
  • Hindi speaking lawyers
  • Urdu speaking lawyers
  • Kurdish speaking lawyers
  • Bosnian speaking lawyers
  • Croatian speaking lawyers
  • Serbian speaking lawyers
  • Slovenian speaking lawyers
  • Macedonian speaking lawyers
  • Montenegrian speaking lawyers

Call 07 3607 3274 or email to request an obligation-free consultation. We’re here to help YOU!